I'm 19 and finished my first year of college.
This blog was originally only about my intense passion for soccer, but the world is a fascinating and funny place and I couldn't stick to one thing. The stuff I reblog is a reflection of my taste in music, humor, sports, and political interests.
1) Everyone, during the first 1-2 weeks of school, are extremely open and friendly. After that period, people’s true nature start to show
2) You will meet some of the sweetest and greatest people who support you and comfort you even though you may have only known them for a few weeks
3) You will run into situations when you are like “HOLY SHIT I NEED AN ADULT!!!” and then you realize you are the adult who needs to fix the problem
4) You will meet some of the worst people who just want to use,hurt, and take advantage of you. At first, these people may seem like new friends, but some point in time you will realize you don’t want to be associated with them. Don’t be afraid to leave these people because (trust me) you will find better people than them.
5) You will without a doubt experience intense loneliness even when you are surrounded by people
6) Turkey drop season is a real phenomenon
7) Not all guys are douche-bag frat guys; there are some who are very sweet and caring
8) There are some guys who are the epitome of the horrible guy. The type of guy who uses girls, cheats on his girlfriend, and views girls as objects rather than equal human beings. These guys are the worst; trust me when I say NEVER EVER HOOK UP WITH ONE OF THESE GUYS EVER
9) Drinking with a broken heart is literally one of the worst things you can do. Eat your feelings
10) The gym is both a wonderful and horrible place. Try to go to the gym every once in a while. Freshman 15 is a real and horrible thing
11) Try not to ditch classes
12) If you do ditch classes, ditch the ones that records the lecture/ have podcasts. Listen to those when you have time.
13) You will cry. In my case, I cried once a week. Its a mixture of both stress, loneliness, and emotional shit.
14) Time by yourself becomes a valuable thing. When you have a roommate, you tend to find out there are very few times where you can just be in a place all by yourself.
15) College is like high school on steroids and caffeine (if that makes sense).
16) College social life can be extremely cliquey. This one actually surprised me the most. I go to a big public college and I was expecting it to be so big that you couldn’t really have cliques, but you do. When people first start college, they fear that they won’t make friends. As a result, when they find others that have commonalities with them, they form a group and they don’t like it when outsiders try to join the group after the first two weeks because this outsider poses the threat of destroying the dynamic of the group. If the dynamic is disrupted people risk having to find a whole new group of friends or being pushed out. This leads to cliques that are hard to join after a while. Be warned
17) Finals time is so much more intense and stressful than high school finals time
18) Going to bed before midnight is impossible
19) Naps are more valuable than all nighters
20) All nighters really do not help at all
21) Don’t put off big assignments
22) Study Groups are a wonderful thing.
23) You will eventually stop caring about how you look. Sweats, yoga pants, exercise clothes, pajamas, etc. those will be your new wardrobe towards the end of a quarter/ semester. Dress up in the beginning.
24) Relationships (especially long distance ones) are very hard in college. I miss my ex more than ever but I have to constantly remind myself that if it was meant to be, we would still be together. Be sure if you have a relationship in college that You WANT it. Fully commit to this relationship.
25) Break ups during the beginning of college/ during turkey drop suck because you want your new friends to support you and comfort you, but its hard for them to do so because they may not know you as well as your high school friends or they didn’t understand your relationship. I was lucky because my friends were really supportive and comforting. I’ve heard stories in which people felt even worse because their new friends couldn’t support them or comfort them as well as their old friends could.
26) Always go to parties with a group of friends
27) Guys trying to take advantage of girls during parties is a real thing. It almost happened to and I was lucky to escape and run back down stairs to my friends. BE WARNED
28) Know your drinking limit. Its not smart to be blacked out drunk at a frat party
29) Understand that college is an emotional roller coast during the first quarter. You will have moments where you are just like “THIS IS SO AWESOME,” “FUCK EVERYONE I HATE THIS PLACE,” “I”M SO FUCKING LONELY I JUST WANT FRIENDS,” to “I LOVE THIS PLACE”
30) You will probably get a C or lower on at least one assignment/ test. Its hard to raise your grade once you’ve gotten a bad grade so be careful
31) The curve is both a beautiful and scary thing. It can be your best friend and your worst enemy. Don’t always rely on the curve
32) While college is meant to be about experience and having fun, you also need to realize that its meant to be a time in which you need to grow up. You can get away with being a shit show for the first quarter/ semester/ year, but after that it will be time to grow up. You are entering a new chapter of your life in which you have to take the first steps in being an adult. It is a scary process.
33) Learn to balance education and partying. College isn’t all about partying. I get really pissed off when people are like “I only want to go to this college so I can party a lot” NO BITCHES REALIZE YOU GO TO COLLEGE FOR AN EDUCATION TOO YOU ARE NOT PAYING THOUSANDS JUST FOR ONE BIG PARTY
34) Try to keep in touch with old friends. Its always nice to have a group of friends outside of college. It gives you a breather
35)My last piece of wisdom/ advice: College is like one big paradox, but its because of this paradox that you really learn to balance your lifestyle and choices. You learn how far you can push the envelope before everything bursts. (You discover the true meaning of “shit show.”) You change. For better or for worse… its up to you.
- white people are not the bad guys
- Christian people are not the bad guys
- Republicans are not the bad guys
- straight people are not the bad guys
- cisgender people are not the bad guys
- rich people are not the bad guys
- men are not the bad guys
- racist, bigoted, homophobic, ignorant, selfish, and / or rude people are the bad guys
dear social justice bloggers